At Sea, somewhere near New Foundland

Today was our first of five days at sea. I really don’t have much to say about today, to be honest. I don’t even think I took my camera out once… There wasn’t much to see except miles of deep blue ocean, and whenever I stare at the ocean, I often wax poetic and wonder how deep the ocean is [probably thousands of feet, in my opinion] and what crazy sea creatures are swimming below the surface.

I woke up late. Like really late. I’m talking close to eleven a.m. It felt nice to sleep that late and I really didn’t have any reason not to sleep late since there wasn’t anything to wake up to, no excursions or anything. I took a shower, and then mom wanted to eat lunch in the dining room because she likes to be served, I personally prefer the buffet, myself, and I’m pretty sure I eat less at the buffet than I do in the regular dining room.

Lunch was lunch. Our usual waiter Martin happened to be working the lunch shift, so it was fun to see him again. For lunch I had New England Clam Chowder, potato latkes with apple compote and sour cream, and this strawberry trifle thing for desert, which was a mixture of custard, strawberry jell-o,  cake, and strawberries, it was yummy. There were two couples at the lunch table with us, one was a couple, who split their time between Southern France and Southern California, they didn’t talk to us very much and were in a hurry because the wife had to go to some pamper party in the spa or something. The woman kept on complaining about her food, and sent it back, and even when she got it back, she was still complaining. People like that are sort of pet peeves. I can understand that sometimes there are times when food has to be sent back, but there’s a nice way to do it and a bitchy way to do it. The other couple at our table was from Albuquerque, New Mexico.

After lunch, I went back to our state room. I was thrilled to find that our steward, Bernardo, somehow found my 3ds stylus, which I was convinced was lost forever, so I wanted to thank him for it, so I made him a Thank You card with gel pens and left it on my bed before we went to dinner. The card was gone after dinner, so I’m pretty sure he got it. I know it’s sort of dorky, but I just thought it’d be nice to thank him because I’m sure he works pretty hard and has to deal with some bitchy people, and I just wanted him to feel appreciated.

Anyways, Big Hero 6 was on TV when we got back from lunch and I was super excited because I had started watching that movie with dad on the Monday before we left on this cruise, but then I left to go see my grandmother, so I never got to finish it, so I was happy I finally got to see the ending. It was such a cute movie. I shed a few tears, at the end. Disney has actually been making some halfway decent movies recently like Inside Out and Big Hero 6, for example. I also remember seeing Fall Out Boy at the Rodeo, last year, in March 2015, in Houston, and they totally played the song from the Big Hero 6 soundtrack. I also played Fire Emblem Awakening as I watched the movie.

After the movie, I went to the gym. I did a workout on the treadmill for an hour and then ventured towards the rarely used weight machines, which I guess makes sense since I’m one of the youngest people on this cruise, and did some reps on them, and then I went back to the room and we watching something on TV about the different excursions on Reykjavik while I played more Fire Emblem Awakening.  I did finish another book at the gym, “True Colors” by Kristin Hannah.

I played videogames till around six thirty and then showered and we went to dinner.  Our tablemates had gone to the Steakhouse tonight so it was just mom and me at dinner.  I had vegetable tempura sushi, which was yummy, this creamy garlic soup, and then cod, which was pretty good, it sort of tasted like fish sticks. For dessert I had crème brulee, but considering I feel awful now and we had two full meals at the dining room, I think I need to eat WAY less for the remainder of the cruise, or they’re going to have to roll me off the ship in Dover, England. I indulged for three days; it’s time to try to eat less. [Of course saying that and actually doing it are two totally different things].

After dinner, I went to the upper most deck for a star-gazing talk. It was amazing how clear the sky is in the middle of the ocean. There were so many stars and planets. I saw Venus, Mars, and Saturn.  I also saw a bunch of constellations: Scorpio [which happens to be Justin’s astrological sign, though technically he’s on the cusp between that and Sagittarius] Leo, The Big Dipper, The Little Dipper, and some others. I also learned that Orion’s belt is the only constellation [or part of a constellation, technically] that can be seen in both the northern and southern hemispheres. It’s so crazy to stare at stars and they seem like they’re sort of close because they’re clear in the sky, but really they’re billions of miles away, it’s just so interesting to think about, and then I think about how in the universe, planet Earth is just so insignificant and small compared to all the other stuff out there. We didn’t get to see the Milky Way or any shooting stars, but it was still cool. I’m not sure if they’ll be any more star-gazing lectures though because as we get closer to Iceland, the sun won’t be setting till close to midnight. The only thing that irked me was all the people, who had their cell phones out and were using apps to track constellations in the sky, the light from the screen was just so freaking bright, and interfered with the darkness that’s needed to see the constellations.

That was today. It wasn’t a bad day; it just wasn’t a significant day. Tomorrow will be similar, as will the next four days because we’ll just be at sea, but after that we’ll be in Iceland and that will be awesome. And so ends Day 4.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *